Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my Blog

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Couples and the Same Page

I show homes to many couples, the biggest problem comes to them being on the same page. One wants a big yard, the other a small one. One wants a small mortgage, the other wants lots of equity. One wants a fixer upper, the other want the ability to move right in and enjoy. One wants to live on the East side, the other the West side and so on. I advise couples to sit down before they go looking (I try and do it with them, as it will help me help them) and I tell them to give me both their top 3 things that they want in a house. Mine is 1) A fireplace (yes I know silly, especially since they are so easy to add now, but I have to be able to visualize where to put one) 2) Big Yard (I have boys, must be able to run around a lot) 3) Attached Garage. My husbands 3 most is 1) Front Porch (he likes to gab) 2) Neighborhood (that is one for both of us, I want a park nearby and he likes social neighborhoods) 3) Living Space (He likes big rooms for entertaining and sensible plans) . Couples will have all sorts of different things, but if in the top three they have conflicting ideas, it is good to get those out and figured out in the beginning. Not when you've been looking and they have both fallen in love with two different homes because they were on total different pages. Bringing them both on the same page will help them decide what is important and what is not.

No comments: